Review: Aesop Calming Shampoo

Aesop Calming Shampoo £17 (200ml)

If you have any sort of interest in the beauty blogging/vlogging world, and more specifically, Viviannadoesmakeup, you can't have failed to notice the hype surrounding apothecary inspired brand, Aesop. 

I love everything about this brand, the philosophy, the packaging, the fact there's a boutique right by my flat! So like most of us, upon hearing all these glowing reviews about their skincare, I had my eye on the Parsley Seed Cleansing Mask. Being a girl with oily skin I'm always on the look out for a new clay mask and this one looks delicious. But it was on one rather distracted afternoon at work that led me to discover this, the Aesop Calming Shampoo.

Like I say, I was originally in the market for the Parsley Seed Cleansing Mask but upon landing on the site, I saw this shampoo on the homepage accompanied by the words, itchy, flakey scalp. Gross I know but for years, I have (and I use this term very loosely) suffered from a flakey scalp. It's by no means debilitating but it can sometimes be itchy, and is almost always flakey. To address this problem in the past I had relied upon trusty Head and Shoulders, which worked occasionally but upon working full time and I suppose being exposed to more stress(!) and the city atmosphere, this just wasn't cutting it. I then suddenly had a revelation, these high street shampoos are specifically formulated to tackle dandruff and not a flakey scalp. What you must understand (if you weren't already aware) is that dandruff and flakey/dry scalp are two completely different conditions. Loosely described dandruff is a fungal infection in the follicles of the scalp, this can lead to rather large, 'chunks' of skin that can be a bit pussy in consistency and rather smelly! Whereas a dry scalp is just that, a flakey, dry scalp, like you'd get on your face, knees or elbows, usually remedied with moisturiser. I do apologise for this rather graphic description but it's key for you to understand the difference between dandruff and a flakey scalp.

So to cut a short story long(!) I realised that these products were most probably not addressing my situation and probably drying my scalp even further. After having heard such glowing reviews about the Aesop skincare I bit the bullet and thought, well it can't be much worse than Head and Shoulders!

So, in short, I have been using this for about a week and I'm really impressed. Usually I'd allow a bit longer than a week to warrant a review on something like this but after the first wash, it was love. It contains peppermint and tea tree which is really refreshing and gives a great tingling feeling to the scalp, a sign it's working I always think! Plus, I had no flakes...this is actually unheard of. The other thing I love about this product is, it's bloody hard to squeeze out so you get hardly any after one squeeze but, and you won't believe it if you use this, you literally need about the size of a 5p piece, when you see that amount you'll think noway is this going to foam up and scrub my whole head but I really couldn't believe just how much this shampoo foams up which is a real plus considering the price, you definitely won't be running out of this in a hurry.

I have been using this as my second shampoo following on from my Ojon Dry Recovery shampoo as it makes sense to use it last to really hydrate my scalp. Saying that, I do feel like it's very clarifying and 'strips' my hair to a certain extent so a good conditioner is in order to follow on from this. I have been alternating between the Ojon Dry Recovery and Damage Repair depending on how dry my hair feels.

Wow that was a pretty mammoth post, who knew I'd have so much to say about shampoo! But overall, I really am impressed with this as it has sorted my scalp out a treat and will definitely become one of my staple shampoos. It has really fed my curiosity to try other products from Aesop as well, as if I didn't already have reason enough, so watch this space for more Aesop goodness!

Have you tried anything from Aesop?

Until the next post,

Love, love, love




Labels: ,